I am now employed at Singapore Post as a Vice President, Digital Services. That’s my day job. Other than that, I am currently an angel investor within the Southeast Asia entrepreneurial ecosystem. I am the co-founder of SGEio which is now acquired by TechinAsia.com. I am currently an entrepreneur-in-residence for INSEAD Business School since Jan 2011 where I advised MBA students on product development, connecting to the local startup & venture community. I am also a member of Hackerspace Singapore and I have one patent under my own name so far. I have recently joined the Asian Scientist as an advisor recently.
Previously, I worked at Vistaprint as a technology manager, building up a technology team to focus on new products for emerging markets under the Most of Worlds Business Unit and also integration of existing products within the company to emerging markets. My experience is mainly in technological product management and development using agile methodologies (mobile and web), business development in technology and social media marketing.
Formerly co-founder and CTO of Chalkboard, a location based mobile ad network, I have managed engineering teams, architect the platform in mobile web space and build strategic relationships with Microsoft and Yahoo!. Also an early stage investor under Thymos Capital LLP on online social networks (Eteract, iHipo), mobile and web applications (AzukiSoft) and we have not continued after our first fund. During that period, I also produced a weekly podcast “This Week in Asia” where we discuss the latest happenings of technology and business in Asia.
I have taught and lectured on courses about entrepreneurship and new venture financing in Nanyang Technopreneurship Centre & School of Physical & Applied Sciences from 2008 to 2012 and formerly a member on the Executive Council in Singapore Computer Society from 2010 to 2013 where I chaired the society’s magazine IT Society for 3 years.
Formerly an academic and research scientist, specializing in computational biology, theoretical physics, economics and strong interest in public policy. I have published papers in prestigious journals on these fields (ApJ, Physical Review D, Cell). Experienced business plan competition organizer and also finalist in business plan competition wih knowledge in venture capital, private equity and a wide network of UK, US and Singapore entrepreneurial community. An experienced conference organizer and an ex-producer in various drama productions. I was also a co-founder of Singapore Angle (which is currently in dormant mode) in a long distant time.
My first degree began from NUS and ended with my PhD degree from Darwin College and Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge University. An important note is that I have no political ambitions and neither am I affiliated to any political parties here in Singapore in case you mistook me for someone else (but I remain an independent observer to what is going on).
My passion is in technology, media and entrepreneurship. I prefer to call myself a pragmatic idealist, because I believe that if you believe in an idea, you should invoke your passion and energy to pursue it and at least make small changes with the environment such that someday it will hit the tipping point and turn it into a big change.
Award and Accolades
- Formation National Serviceman of the Year: Letter of Commendation from Singapore Armed Forces for my military reservist duties, 2014
- Singapore Computer Society (SCS) IT Leader Awards: Professional of the Year, 2010.
- Winner of NUS Outstanding Young Alumni Award, 2007.
- Overseas Research Scholar, British High Commission, 1998-2002.
- Commonwealth Scholar, Cambridge Commonwealth Trust, 1998-2002.
- Lee Foundation Scholar, Singapore, 1998-2002.
- Dean’s List for outstanding academic performance, National University of Singapore, 1996-1998.
- Gold medal, British Petroleum Science Colors Award for outstanding leadership and academic achievements, 1997-1998.
- Military Commendation of outstanding service from Commander, 3rd Infantry Brigade, 1994-1995.
- General Management, Digital Strategy (Web, Mobility and Social Media), Business Process Outsourcing.
- Product Management, Lean Startup Methodology, Agile Software Development.
- Technology: Consumer Internet, Social Media, Digital Advertising
- Programming languages (Python, Ruby, Java, LaTeX, C++, C, Perl, MySQL, PostgreSQL, XML and HTML5, CSS3), Cloud Computing: Amazon Web Services, Server Architecture & Content Management Systems and Mobile Platforms (iOS, Android, Blackberry OS, Windows Phone 8).
- Early Stage Investor (Deal sourcing and closing, Due diligence and Fundraising/M&A)
- Theoretical Physics & Computational Biology
You can contact me via bleongcw (at) any mailer (GMail, Outlook, iCloud and Yahoo), or find me via twitter or skype thru @bleongcw. You can read my profile in Linkedin. Consulting, business and teaching opportunities are welcome.
I do not get paid when I write reviews about products and events I attended (invited by PR agencies or companies). If I do, I will disclose it, like my policy in SG Entrepreneurs & This Week in Asia when I disclose the companies I & my firm invest in. For advertorials from blogger advertising agencies (which I often put them to test their services), I will usually declare that it’s a sponsored review. I am a firm supporter of Creative Commons.
The opinions and thoughts expressed in any posts here are in Bernard Leong’s personal capacity and do not represent the views and opinions of any organisation he works for.