Biography: Bernard Leong
At the moment, I will be in transition from my career, spending time with family, reflecting on my career and recovering from 2.25 years of Amazon till the next adventure starts. One short update, I have joined the XA network as an angel investor and have done my first investment there. I am the founder of Analyse Asia podcast and re-take the helm of the host on 1 Oct 2021. I am married and have three children and you can read about my parental philosophy here.
Back to my corporate history, the last role, I was the head of artificial intelligence and machine learning for ASEAN in Amazon Web Services ending on 30 Sep 2021 where I spearheaded the strategy and go to market sales execution in Southeast Asia and building lighthouse customers with major key customers. I was also formerly the head of Airbus Aerial Asia (VP-level appointment) under Airbus Defence and Space, and the Head of Post Office Network & Digital Services in Singapore Post. In Airbus, I worked on the go-to-market strategy for the drones delivery business and digital services relating to satellite and drone imaging across Asia Pacific with China included. Prior to that, I have led two businesses units in Singapore Post within a span of 4 years and 1 month: Post Office Network and Digital Services and managed both P&Ls > S$40M and teams over 500+ employees. My achievements included the SAM omnichannel platform which formed the backbone of the smart post office in the future which won two global awards, successful implementation of the historic first secure & authenticated drone delivery where I advised many posts and aviation regulatory authorities in the space, and executing the digital transformation successfully from setting up the social media council, building successful mobile apps with great user experience and the new corporate website which I have managed to build by aligning many stakeholders in the company.
I am the founder of a podcast side project called Analyse Asia where I interview thought leaders across Asia and US on business, media & technology. I am currently an entrepreneur-in-residence for INSEAD Business School since Jan 2011 where I advised MBA students on product development, connecting to the local startup & venture community. I have one patent under my own name so far. Formerly, I was a mentor to JFDI.Asia. I have graduated from the Global Solutions Program (GSP) 2016 in the Singularity University @ NASA Ames Centre where I have spent 2.5 months in Silicon Valley from June to August 2016. Previously, I am the co-founder of SGEntrepreneurs an online media portal focusing on entrepreneurship in Singapore which was acquired by TechinAsia.com in 2013.
Formerly an academic and research scientist, specializing in computational biology, theoretical physics, economics and a strong interest in public policy. I have published papers in prestigious journals on these fields (ApJ, Physical Review D, Cell). While my professional capacities have hovered around start-ups and corporates, I have other side interests which you might not know. I was an ex-producer in various drama productions in the UK and a co-founder of the social-political blog: Singapore Angle (now defunct) in a long distant time.
An important note is that I have no political ambitions and neither am I affiliated to any political parties here in Singapore in case you mistook me for someone else. I remain an independent observer to what is going on in the world.
My passion is in technology, media and entrepreneurship. I prefer to call myself a pragmatic idealist. If you truly believe in an idea, you should invoke your passion and energy to pursue it and at least make small changes with the environment such that it will hit the tipping point someday and cascade into a major change.
Award and Accolades
- Postal and Parcel Technology International Awards 2017: Digital Innovation of the Year for the SAM Omni-channel platform.
- World Post and Parcel 2017 Award: Retail Access Category for the omni-channel SAM digital platform.
- Formation National Serviceman of the Year: Letter of Commendation from Singapore Armed Forces for my military reservist duties, 2014
- Singapore Computer Society (SCS) IT Leader Awards: Professional of the Year, 2010.
- Winner of NUS Outstanding Young Alumni Award, 2007.
- Overseas Research Scholar, British High Commission, 1998-2002.
- Commonwealth Scholar, Cambridge Commonwealth Trust, 1998-2002.
- Lee Foundation Scholar, Singapore, 1998-2002.
- Dean’s List for outstanding academic performance, National University of Singapore, 1996-1998.
- Gold medal, British Petroleum Science Colors Award for outstanding leadership and academic achievements, 1997-1998.
- Military Commendation of outstanding service from Commander, 3rd Infantry Brigade, 1994-1995.
- General Management with regional experience in expanding across Asia Pacific (including China and India) as a senior executive.
- Digital Strategy (Web, Mobility and Social Media), Business Process Outsourcing.
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Product Management, Lean Startup Methodology, Agile Software Development.
- Technology: Consumer Internet, Social Media, Digital Advertising
- Programming languages (Python, Ruby, Java, LaTeX, C++, C, Perl, MySQL, PostgreSQL, XML and HTML5, CSS3), Cloud Computing: Amazon Web Services, Server Architecture & Content Management Systems and Mobile Platforms (iOS & Android).
- Early Stage Investor (Deal sourcing and closing, Due diligence and Fundraising/M&A)
- Theoretical Physics & Computational Biology
- AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner on 22 August 2019.
- AWS Certified Machine Learning Specialty on 7 Dec 2020.
You can find me via twitter thru @bernardleong. You can read my profile in Linkedin or send me an InMail message and I will respond within 3-5 days. I will be concise with a yes and no to the ask. Consulting, business, speaking and teaching opportunities are definitely welcome.
I work on the principle of transparency. If I use a product, attend a sponsored event, discuss a company which I am either an advisor, board or investor to, I will disclose.
The opinions and thoughts expressed in any posts here are in Bernard Leong’s personal capacity and do not represent the views and opinions of any organisation he works for.